Founded in Silicon Valley in 2009 by Marc Andreessen and Ben Horowitz, Andreessen Horowitz (known as “a16z”) is a venture capital firm that backs bold entrepreneurs building the future through technology. We are stage agnostic: We invest in seed to venture to late-stage technology companies, across bio + healthcare, consumer, crypto, enterprise, fintech, games, and companies building toward American dynamism. a16z has $33.3B in assets under management across multiple funds.
We’ve established a team that is defined by respect for the entrepreneur and the company-building process; we know what it’s like to be in the founder’s shoes. We’ve invested in companies like Accolade, BigHat Biosciences, Cedar, Devoted Health, EQRx, Freenome, Insitro, Komodo Health, Omada Health, and PatientPing. Our team is at the forefront of new technology, helping founders and their companies impact and change the world.
We’re looking to add a new healthcare- focused member to our a16z Bio + Health Investing team. The Healthcare Deal Analyst will work with our general partners and deal partners to source and evaluate investment opportunities, perform market research and analyses, and support our portfolio companies. The deal team’s primary goal is to keep a comprehensive pulse on the healthcare (payor, provider, employer, and patient-focused tech and care delivery services platforms) ecosystem to discover the most promising founders and investment opportunities, support our team in making the best possible investment decisions, and establish definitive points of view on the future of healthcare through our research and content.
Joining Our Team Means Taking On The Following
- Source investment opportunities. The Healthcare Deal Analyst will systematically curate and find promising investment opportunities in the healthcare domain by researching high-potential founders, potential repeat founders, and other “scenes” where future founders might exist.
- Develop and help our team sharpen a definitive investment thesis. Why would we invest in this particular company and business model? What creates the opportunity for an outsized return in a space? What market and technology trends are creating dislocations and therefore investing opportunities?
- Conduct comprehensive and objective diligence. The Healthcare Deal Analyst will lead diligence on a multitude of investment opportunities. S/he will develop and provide detailed analyses of the company’s target market, people, products and technologies, go-to-market plan, competitive dynamics, regulatory plan, and anything else relevant to making an investment decision. S/he will collaborate with others on the deal team, including across verticals, and outside domain experts, to get to the best possible answer on any diligence project.
- Deepen and expand a subject matter expert network. The Healthcare Deal Analyst will continuously grow & nurture the firm’s network of subject matter experts, and develop the ability to quickly determine the best resource(s) to contact for a given diligence area.
- Contribute to deal team operations, such as inbound deal funnel management, notes during pitch meetings, tracking of data for benchmarking, and institutionalization of knowledge and data for deal team-wide use.
- Contribute to a16z content (e.g. blog posts, podcasts, presentations, YouTube videos, etc): The Healthcare Deal Analyst will conduct research and contribute content related to content authored by the bio+healthcare team.
- Participate in relevant ecosystem events and networks. The Healthcare Deal Analyst represents a16z in the industry. S/he may attend and participate in relevant industry events to form long-term relationships with network stakeholders, collect data, and bring founder flow and market insights to the team.
- 3+ years of professional experience required, ideally in management consulting, financial services / investing. Operating experience in a digital health / healthtech company is a major plus.
- Genuine intellectual curiosity, aka unabashed nerdiness in tech and healthcare domains, and desire and proven ability to explore and uncover new domains and technologies quickly.
- Demonstrated analytical capabilities – an ability to diligence complex topics, whether financial or technical, including both primary and secondary research.
- The ability to gather, learn, synthesize and effectively present and communicate (verbal/written) complex information.
- A natural user and connoisseur of the latest apps for business and / or personal productivity.
- Excellent attention to detail and follow through.
- Ability to balance multiple projects and work on tight deadlines.
- Upbeat, optimistic attitude – and a belief in the future!
- Prior investing, diligencing, and sourcing experience is ideal but not required.
- We do only first class business and only in a first class way
- We take a long view of relationships, because we are in the relationship business
- We believe in the future and bet the firm that way
- We are all different, we recognize that, and we win
- We celebrate the good times
- We do it for the team
- We play to win
At a16z we are always looking to hire the absolute best talent and recognize that diversity in our experiences and backgrounds is what makes us stronger. We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. These differences are what enables us to work towards the future we envision for ourselves, our portfolio companies, and the World.