American Family Ventures (AFV) is a multi-limited partner, early-stage venture capital firm focused on the future of insurance. AFV is investing out of its $213 million third fund. Limited partners represent over $100 billion in assets and over $25 billion in annual premiums spanning most major lines of insurance. Over the past eight years, AFV has invested over $200 million in 65+ startups with 17 exits. Current portfolio companies include Clearcover, Branch, Wyze, Sana Benefits, Hover, HomeTap, Gradient AI, and many others.
With the upcoming launch of our fourth venture fund, we are expanding our investing team. We are looking for exceptional, self-directed, intellectually curious Analysts to join us in New York City and other locations. The right candidates come with strong analytical and communication skills, are excited to build a career in venture capital or the entrepreneurial ecosystem and want to join a dynamic and fun team.
The purpose of the Venture Capital Analyst position is to:
- Support and independently conduct investment analysis. Success is creating a plan to analyze the key questions that drive an investment decision, coming to a point of view on the questions after research and analysis, and then clearly and concisely articulating that point of view. This process will include quantitative analysis, such as creating financial models, evaluating returns scenarios, and market sizing.
- Build subject matter expertise to support startup diligence processes and sourcing of high-quality startups. Success is building a broad, peer-level network within the venture capital market and developing foundational understanding of areas of insurance, including property and casualty, life, annuity, and healthcare. It will also require building deep domain expertise in a vertical and growing to be viewed as the firm’s expert in that domain.
- Support and lead non-investing projects. Success is the production of exceptional work products that support our firm, portfolio companies, and limited partners.
- Provide a launchpad for individual professional development. Success can be many paths including rising within AFV, moving to other opportunities in venture or private equity investing, launching a startup, or joining a portfolio company.
- Demonstrated track record of success, including an exceptional academic record (preferably in a quantitative discipline such as business, mathematics, finance, engineering, economics, or computer science).
- Strong quantitative ability and analytical approach to problem-solving. Able to distinguish between strong and weak lines of reasoning and can consistently screen startups for their relevance to our fund.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication, writing and presenting clearly, consistently and with credibility.
- Highly detail-oriented and a passion for understanding and solving the nuances of a problem.
- Interest in developing expertise in the insurance market.
- Strong desire to build a career in venture capital and investing.
- Previous job or internship experience in venture capital, consulting, banking, or insurance is preferred, but not required.
- Willingness to travel 25–50% of the time, when safe to do so.
If interested, please reach out to email@example.com.