Blue Ivy Ventures
Alumni Ventures (AV) is a fast-growing, network-powered venture capital firm disrupting the VC industry. We are democratizing venture investing by allowing individuals the opportunity to invest into previously inaccessible startups.
We believe in growing and engaging with an inclusive community of teammates, investors, and entrepreneurs to challenge the status quo and build a better future. Fueled by our mission, we are growing rapidly, with over 150 employees and 20 investing teams working from locations in Boston, Chicago, New York City, Menlo Park, Austin, and a headquarters in Manchester, NH. AV is a fast-paced work environment with a dedicated approach to growth and innovation that is centered on regular change, experimentation, learning (from both failures and successes), iteration, and continuous improvement.
AV has raised over $1B to date from over 1,000 investors and is the third most active VC in the world (Pitchbook 2021) with over 900 portfolio companies. We recently won several awards, including Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies 2022 (Financial Services) and Bezinga’s Most Innovative Personal Investment Company 2021. AV invests alongside well-known lead investors such as Sequoia, Kleiner Perkins and Bessemer.
About This Role
We are seeking an experienced, full-time investing venture Senior Principal who can source, recruit, research, and evaluate opportunities on behalf of Blue Ivy Ventures.
This individual will serve as a leader of the Fund’s investing work: deal sourcing, researching, evaluating, and managing relationships with portfolio companies and fellow venture investors. The successful Senior Principal will drive enhanced deal quality and improve co-investing opportunities for Blue Ivy Ventures and will have significant input into the creation of a unique portfolio amassing highly valuable strategic assets. Alumni Ventures is a fast-paced, professional, entrepreneurial environment. As Senior Principal, this individual will report directly to and work closely with the Managing Partner of the fund.
- Network with various players in the startup ecosystem
- Identify deal resources and conduct outreach to VCs, entrepreneurs, incubators, and more to help fill our deal pipeline with prospects
- Educate deal sources and companies/entrepreneurs about our process and effectively manage relationships
- Prepare and distribute due diligence packages
- Research and evaluate each opportunity as a potential investment, including interviewing company teams, competitors, and customers
- Recruit, train, and manage interns/fellows to help support deal outreach and research
- Present opportunities and respond to Managing Partner and LP questions, run deal meetings, and orchestrate IC meetings
- Help create and manage our company database, monitoring prospects on an ongoing basis
- As requested, assist with investor relations and potential investor outreach
- Help supervise back-end functions as needed
- Bachelor’s degree
- MBA or advanced degree preferred
- 3-5+ years of venture investing experience
- 8+ years of additional experience in finance, strategy, or operating/entrepreneurship