Accion is a global nonprofit committed to creating a financially inclusive world, with a pioneering legacy in microfinance and fintech impact investing. We catalyze financial service providers to deliver high-quality, affordable solutions at scale for the three billion people who are left out of — or poorly served by — the financial sector. For nearly 60 years, Accion has helped tens of millions of people through our work with more than 160 partners in 55 countries. More at http://www.accion.org.
About Venture Lab
Accion Venture Lab is a leading early-stage impact investor in inclusive fintech startups. We believe that affordable, well-designed financial services enable economic growth and prosperity for underserved populations in the world. Accion Venture Lab invests globally in the most innovative models and technologies delivering quality financial services to underserved households and small businesses with the potential to scale. Backed by commercial and impact investors since the launch of its third-party fund in 2019, Accion Venture Lab has invested in more than 55 early-stage startups that operate in more than 35 countries worldwide. Accion Venture Lab is a part of Accion, a global nonprofit committed to creating a financially inclusive world, with a pioneering legacy in microfinance and fintech impact investing. Accion catalyzes financial service providers to deliver high-quality, affordable solutions at scale for the three billion people who are left out of – or poorly served by – the financial sector. For 60 years, Accion has helped tens of millions of people through our work with more than 170 partners in 55 countries. For further information, visit https://www.accion.org/venturelab.
We have successfully delivered market-leading returns while staying true to our mission. We have done so by employing a rigorous sourcing and diligence process, investing in companies poised to take advantage of the investment themes we believe will be successful in the future, and by adding value in the form of strategic and operational support through our governance and portfolio engagement functions. Most importantly, we have created a model of social impact that many in our industry look to emulate. Since inception, our companies have helped bring financial services to 37 million underserved consumers and small businesses and they have, since our investment, gone on to raise nearly $1B in further capital to grow and scale.
Accion Venture Lab is looking for a Senior Manager, Portfolio Engagement to support the Portfolio Engagement function, which is focused on accelerating the growth trajectory of our portfolio by improving financial performance and amplifying social impact for our companies.
The role is highly entrepreneurial, spanning emerging market fintech strategy, consulting, operations, and entrepreneurship, with a focus on cutting edge innovation in financial inclusion. Successful candidates will have the opportunity to provide post-investment support across the fund’s expanding portfolio in India and Southeast Asia, furthering the growth and success of our investees and building the financial inclusion ecosystem.
The PE Senior Manager will be joining a diverse team of global investing and operational experts that have invested in and supported over fifty early-stage fintech startups across five continents. Ideally, this role will be based in Mumbai, India; however, this position can also be based in any of the following cities:
- Bangalore, India
- Jakarta, Indonesia
- Manila, Philippines
The person in this role will report to the Operating Partner of Accion Venture Lab.
While this is not an investing role, the PE Senior Manager will be involved in multiple steps in the due diligence process, providing guidance and feedback to investment leads as they evaluate potential opportunities.
The Portfolio Engagement Manager will help drive Venture Lab’s Portfolio Engagement approach and strategy and will provide in-depth strategic and operational support to investee enterprises across Venture Lab’s global portfolio. This will include:
- Engaging with portfolio companies to identify challenges and barriers to growth faced by the businesses.
- Developing and scoping projects to address the areas of need including defining timing, level of effort, and structure of projects.
- Spending time in-market (and remotely) working with companies to execute on PE projects alongside Venture Lab colleagues.
- Impact assessment of portfolio projects.
- Responsibility for engaging directly with C-level leadership at portfolio companies, driving projects, and building relationships. S/he will also build relationships with line and functional managers at portfolio companies as necessary to ensure that projects are successful and carried forward.
- Support the Venture Lab team as needed on investment activities, working to integrate knowledge learned from portfolio work into the investment function.
- Proactively develop knowledge resources and thought leadership for Venture Lab in areas related to portfolio company support.
- Partner with the Head of Community and regional Investment leads to identify in-market activities to enhance Venture Lab’s support of early-stage fintechs.
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience, including experience in consulting and operational or entrepreneurial experience in building businesses.
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA preferred.
- Strong research and analysis skills, including financial analytics.
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for entrepreneurship and market-based solutions to poverty.
- Outstanding relationship management skills and ability to earn respect of colleagues, investors and enterprises.
- Experience and network within impact investing and/or financial inclusion a plus.
- Exceptional written, communication and presentation skills, and comfortable moving seamlessly between boardroom and field.
- Domain expertise in financial services and/or financial inclusion, particularly financial technology, credit, payment systems, and/or innovative delivery models strongly preferred
- Experience working in or with startups or growth-stage enterprises in emerging markets
- Excellent at multi-tasking with a positive, can-do attitude.
- Interest in our mission and in working globally.
- Willingness to work across multiple time zones – you will need to occasionally take calls in the morning US Eastern time.
- Domain expertise in financial services and/or financial inclusion, particularly financial technology, payment systems, and/or innovative delivery models.
- Experience with customer analytics and marketing tools, including social media tools. Surveying knowledge a plus.
- Language skills beyond English.
This role will require moderate to frequent travel to portfolio companies, conferences, etc.