Towerview Ventures, Alumni Ventures’ fund for Duke alumni and friends of the community, is seeking an experienced, full-time investing venture Senior Associate who can source, recruit, research, and evaluate opportunities.
This individual will support the Managing Partner’s efforts to source, evaluate, conduct due diligence and support portfolio companies post-close, ultimately play a key role in the execution and management of early stage venture investments at AV.
You’ll be joining a fast-paced, professional, and entrepreneurial environment where you’ll have significant input into the creation of a unique, diversified, fast-growing portfolio. You will leverage a well vetted playbook and back office support to help in executing your role and collaborate with a talented team of marketing and investing professionals.
- Develop investment memos and execute the Investment Committee processes
- Assist in the monitoring of existing investments and support existing founders in the portfolio across a variety of efforts.
- Maintain fund performance metrics in close collaboration with AV back office / finance support.
- Manage deal flow and related database inputs
- Identify and research potential investment opportunities, as well as develop and maintain the deal pipeline
- Conduct outreach to VCs, entrepreneurs, incubators, and more to help fill our deal pipeline with prospects:
- Vet potential deal opportunities that align with AV’s investment mandate, including interviewing company teams, competitors, customers, etc..
- Present companies and work closely and collaboratively with the Managing Partner, as well as other teams within AV
- Educate deal sources and companies/entrepreneurs about AV and our process and effectively manage relationships in a professional, courteous manner
- Work closely with sibling funds to identify mutual interesting investment opportunities
- Develop and maintain proprietary deal and market intelligence
- Contribute positively to AV’s culture
- Bachelor’s degree
- MBA preferred but not required
- 1-2 years of experience in venture capital preferred
- 4-6 years of additional professional experience in finance, start-up strategy/operations, consulting and/or other applicable experience
- Strong connection to the Duke community preferred
- Strong analytical, financial analysis, organizational, and writing skills
- A professional presence combined with relationship and communication skills to interact effectively with internal and external parties
- Ability to quickly comprehend, evaluate, and critique a venture’s business model, market opportunity, and team
- Awareness of the venture capital community, including leading investment funds and partners, historical successes and failures
- Familiarity with typical venture capital deal structures, terms, and industry practices
- Knowledge and interest in current technology, trends, and developments
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and execute on processes while working with diverse and/or remote stakeholders
- Adept at organizing, analyzing, and reporting on data; notices and addresses important details with a high degree of accuracy
- Demonstrated interest and experience in emerging companies, and experience in company research and due diligence preparation
- Good networker, with an ability to help grow our system and process for identifying investment opportunities
- Self-starter and independent manager, but great team player, preferably with personnel management experience
- Smart, creative thinker and problem-solver, fast learner, with demonstrated initiative
AV provides equal employment opportunities to all employees, applicants for employment, interns and fellows without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, family care status, religion, age, physical or mental disability, gender identity, pregnancy, veteran status, results of genetic testing, service in the military or any other legally protected class. Equal employment opportunity applies to all terms, conditions, and privileges of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation, social and recreational programs and training.