Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
Toast is maturing its New Ventures business unit with the goal of researching, developing, and scaling a new generation of products and business lines that can have a substantial impact on Toast’s long-term growth. We are searching for an Investment Strategy associate to help us to develop new investment theses as well as embed into existing New Ventures teams to collaborate with the leads on strategic projects.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Collaborate with the GM of New Ventures and the New Ventures Investment Lead to make decisions on funding, scaling, shutting down, and spinning off New Ventures initiatives into new Lines of Business for Toast.
- Evaluate emerging trends, business models, and companies in the Restaurant industry. Be the company’s go-to expert for the areas you cover.
- Source opportunities for New Ventures investments by designing and leading detailed market research efforts using both quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Develop detailed financial models, including unit-economics analysis and ROI forecasts.
- Synthesize analyses and recommendations into concise presentations to drive executive decision making processes at the monthly Investment Committee meetings.
- Collaborate with New Ventures leads on strategic projects including market and competitive analysis, building rigorous business case models, pricing and packaging optimization, go-to market models, and more.
- Work with Finance & Strategy business partners to reconcile New Ventures businesses forecasts to actuals and scenario planning.
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- 3 – 5 years of experience in investment banking, private equity, venture capital, management consulting or corporate development
- Strong market research and analysis skills; ability to evaluate market dynamics and leverage findings to inform company strategy
- Strong analytical, quantitative, and communication skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of SaaS economics and business models
- Passionate about technology startups
- Enjoy nerding out with startup founders at the earliest stages of their companies
- Undergraduate Degree
Special Sauce* (Nonessential Skills/Nice to Haves)
- Experience in an early stage technology startup
- Restaurant, SaaS or FinTech industry experience
- Knowledge of SQL, Python or R
At Toast, we believe that the success of our business and our customers comes only with the success of our employees.
Our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are empowered to succeed, Toast succeeds in achieving our mission to enable our community of restaurateurs to delight their guests, do what they love, and thrive. The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
At the heart of this is our hospitality mindset of ensuring everyone feels welcomed and included, and our Toast values and behaviors that best define who we are as Toasters.
Our Spread of Total Rewards
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- Subsidized backup childcare
- Bread puns encouraged but not required