The JDRF T1D Fund is a venture philanthropy fund whose mission is to accelerate life-changing solutions to treat, prevent, and cure type 1 diabetes (T1D) through catalytic equity investments. Through its investments in partnership with private capital, including venture capital, corporate VCs, pharma and foundations, the T1D Fund seeks to attract the private investment necessary to advance new therapeutics for those living with T1D. The T1D Fund invests in areas strategically aligned with JDRF, with an emphasis on cure-oriented or disease modifying therapies. The T1D Fund is an evergreen model and realized gains will be deployed into new investments.
The T1D Fund was launched in 2016 and continues to grow its half-dozen person team and > $150 million assets under management. The Fund has made investments in approximately thirty portfolio companies and has already generated several successful exits. The Fund will continue to be a highly active investor playing various roles within its world-class co-investor syndicates. JDRF is the world’s largest nonprofit funder of T1D research having made grants of approximately $2 billion over the past fifty years, and the JDRF seeded the Fund with an initial investment capital and provides meaningful support and access to the key stakeholders and experts in the T1D community. Success is enhanced by the Fund’s relationship and leverage of JDRF resources, yet the Fund governed as a separate vehicle with an independent investment team, board, and investment committee, allowing for nimble and effective decision making. This new model has been highly visible, with coverage in outlets including the New York Times, Bloomberg TV, BioCentury, Venture Capital Journal, and Axios.
The JDRF T1D Fund is seeking an Associate/Senior Associate to assist in sourcing and evaluating potential investments, performing due diligence, executing deals, and conducting ongoing support and portfolio management of our companies. The Associate would also collaborate with scientific and other staff at the broader JDRF, in support of our Venture Philanthropy investments and our strategic mission.
This role provides a unique opportunity within life science venture capital to be part of a venture philanthropy effort driving new investments in strategic partnership with a leading disease focused foundation (JDRF). The fund is focused on investing in type 1 diabetes (T1D) opportunities across a range of modality, clinical stage, financial stage and geography.
The ideal candidate will have both a science and business background. The candidate should have an advanced degree in life sciences and/or medicine along with business experience in venture capital, management consulting, investment banking, equity research or business or corporate development in life sciences. T1D expertise is a positive but not required.
The Associate will be expected to operate in a start-up environment and exhibit independence and leadership capabilities. The position will frequently interact with our external stakeholders in industry and venture capital, as well as stakeholders at JDRF. The position will be based in Boston and will require some travel. The position is available immediately and has long-term potential for advancement within the fund.
- Conduct scientific due diligence in partnership with internal JDRF staff and outside experts.
- Conduct business due diligence including investment-specific diligence, market analysis, financial modeling, and primary and secondary research.
- Assist in sourcing new investment opportunities through analysis of scientific and market data, building industry relationships and attending industry events.
- Active role in deal pipeline monitoring and management.
- Prepare and maintain internal documentation on potential investments/portfolio. companies, including investment memos.
- Actively engage in on-going portfolio management including presentations and financial models
- Support portfolio company investments by coordinating interactions and conducting alliance management activities between the investee and the T1D Fund and/or JDRF (typically structured as a Program Advisory Committee)
- Demonstrated passion for life sciences with an advanced degree in a relevant discipline.
- Must have a strong interest in working for a mission driven, team-oriented organization.
- Ability to work and exhibit leadership in a dynamic, fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Must be able to pro-actively prioritize competing demands and deliver high-quality results.
- Exceptional written, verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Prior experience in venture capital, strategic consulting, investment banking, equity research or business or corporate development is required.
- Experience with Type 1 Diabetes or related therapeutic areas or disciplines (immunology, metabolic disease, regenerative medicine, etc.) is a plus but not a requirement.
If interested, please apply here.