Human Capital is a venture firm for builders. We believe ambitious builders turn great ideas into great companies. We invest in founders, teams, and startups that share this mindset.
In the last 6 years, that mantra has led us to invest in 15 companies before they became unicorns, including Snowflake, Anduril, Livongo, and Brex (where we wrote the first check). We have over $1.3B in total capital committed and we’ve built a community of over 5,000 incredible, driven, ambitious builders.
Now we’re looking for a Senior Associate to help write our next chapter.
Being the first investor doesn’t mean writing the first check. It’s everything before the first check.
It’s investing in people as people, years before they’re founders, and building deep and genuine relationships. It’s asking about their craziest dreams, then helping them inch (or sprint) closer to them, whenever and however it makes the most sense for them.
We see Senior Associates as the first investors in the builders with the potential to build generation-defining companies, because investing isn’t just about writing checks—it’s about investing in people. As a Senior Associate, you’ll be a coach and thought partner for those people.
- Spend your days building long-term, non-transactional relationships with the highest quality individuals who plan to start a company in the next 1-2 years. You’ll talk about life goals, how to structure a company, what matters to them, and how they plan to assemble their early team. The path to becoming a founder is windy and unpredictable. You’ll be there for whatever each person’s path looks like.
- Meet with five to ten future founders on an average day over Zoom, coffee, drinks or walks. This should sound exciting and energizing, not exhausting.
- Think creatively about how to identify and build relationships with future founders across different networks and communities where there is a strong “founder signal”. You know them best, because you’re not unlike them (and you know many of them already).
- When the time is right, explore investment opportunities. When the people you’ve built relationships with are exploring ideas or decide they’re ready to start something, you’ll work with them to assess the opportunity and potential for Human Capital to invest.
- At least 2 years of past experience as an Engineer or a product-oriented builder who believes in the power of both people and products
- You have foundational experience of working within a tech startup – open to all stages
- Previous Founder experience is a bonus
- You get energy from building relationships. You index high on the “care personally” axis. Your colleagues consider you a friend and your friends their advice-giving sage.
- You optimize for the (very) long term. You think and measure impact in years, decades and lifetimes, not quarters.
- You want to change venture, not just be in venture. You believe VC has the potential to enable and empower curious and ambitious people, but that it can be better.
- You’re entrepreneurial to the core. You’ve started something, been part of an early-stage startup, or plan to start a company (or another company) someday.