Fine Structure Ventures
Fine Structure Ventures is backed by Devonshire Investors, the private investment arm of Fidelity, which makes investments across asset classes, including real estate, private equity, and venture capital. Fidelity has a fifty-year history in venture capital and has had the privilege of backing many great companies in technology and healthcare, including Atari, MCI, Nuance, Alibaba, Ultragenyx, Innovent and Denali, among others.
Fine Structure Ventures was formed to focus on early stage VC investments in scientific breakthroughs and deep tech, and we are now looking to expand the team to support the investment activities of our second fund.
Role and Responsibilities
The Senior Associate – Fine Structure Ventures will lead the technical and scientific evaluation of investment opportunities in emerging disruptive science including, but not limited to, aerospace, climate tech, next-gen computing, materials, and synthetic biology.
You will join an existing investment team to develop and evaluate new opportunities and help manage existing portfolio companies. You will report to the Managing Director of the fund but will also support the investing activities of other senior members of the team.
- Advanced degrees (Ph.D. strongly preferred) and research interests in a scientific field, preferably in physics, mathematics, electronics, or computer science
- Demonstrated interest in emerging technologies and disruptive science with a view on future trends
- Familiarity with early stage startups investing, operating, or consulting roles preferred
- Ability to grasp business concepts and implications of corporate finance and accounting
- Post-academic work experience is preferable
- Impeccable integrity, strong work ethic, and innate respect for colleagues and entrepreneurs
- Creativity, vision, and flexibility combined with strong analytical skills and judgment
- Well-developed interpersonal and networking skills; must be able to build relationships both internally and externally
- Intellectual curiosity across fields
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; must be direct, concise, and analytical
- Self-motivated and comfortable with autonomy, yet humble, transparent, and communicative.