ECMC Foundation is a national foundation working to improve postsecondary outcomes for students from underserved communities. ECMC Foundation makes investments in two focus areas: college success and career readiness; and uses a spectrum of funding structures, including strategic grantmaking and program-related investments, to invest in both nonprofit and for-profit ventures.
Launched in 2018, ECMC Foundation’s Education Innovation Ventures (EIV) program provides catalytic, risk capital to early-stage ventures working to increase postsecondary educational outcomes and economic mobility among learners who face systemic barriers. Through program-related investments, EIV’s capital generates impact alongside financial returns, which are recycled to fund further impact initiatives and drive changes in educational attainment and economic mobility for learners.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- At the onset of a new strategic plan, ECMC Foundation is seeking a Senior Associate for its Education Innovation Ventures (EIV) program. This hire will play a central role in building out EIV’s portfolio of early-stage ventures and social enterprises, using a range of investment tools (e.g. debt, equity, guarantees, and deposits) and ultimately supporting the vision of entrepreneurs who are shaping the future of higher education and work. Specifically, the Senior Associate will:
- In partnership with the Director of Education Innovation Ventures, help lead the strategic growth and execution of impact investments that currently deploy $3-4M across 6-10 new investments annually. Support the end-to-end deal flow process for new investments.
- Proactively source and vet new investment opportunities including analyzing industry sectors, understanding the competitive landscape, conducting due diligence, and determining the value and optimal capital structure under various finance and operating scenarios.
- Present opportunities and deals, including writing high-quality investment memos and supporting materials, for Board of Directors’ consideration and approval.
- Build and maintain trusting relationships with portfolio company founders, providing ongoing mentoring, coaching, and strategic support.
- Analyze and track the performance, financial and social reporting, and payments from portfolio companies, including synthesizing data into financial models and impact dashboards.
- Engage in field-building activities, including representing the EIV team at external meetings, conferences, field visits, and other forums that build connections and networks within the broader impact investing, college success, and career readiness space.
- Serve as an internal connector and advocate for EIV within the ECMC Foundation’s ecosystem, operating as a knowledgeable resource and fostering integration across the Foundation’s broader programs and networks.
- Partner with the financial and legal teams of ECMC Foundation’s parent company, ECMC Group, seeking counsel on structuring and negotiating the financial and legal terms of new investments.
WHO YOU ARE
- An enthusiastic advocate for ECMC Foundation’s mission and values. You are inspired to join an organization that seeks to improve higher education and career success amongst learners and workers from underserved communities. You thrive on a lean team that values accountability, action- and service-orientation, learning, innovation, and a deep commitment to social equity and economic mobility.
- An investment professional with experience and/or an interest in deploying capital to engender social impact. You bring experience in impact investing or an adjacent field such as venture capital, venture philanthropy, private equity, community development financing, social enterprise development, investment banking, and/or private debt. You have an appetite for risk and are energized to apply your skills and knowledge in a mission-driven setting. 7+ years of related work experience or 5+ years of work experience with an MBA or Master’s degree in a similar field is preferred.
- A “big picture” thinker with the ability to implement tactically. You approach your work through an analytical and data-driven lens and are hands-on in translating strategy into tangible activities and goals. You are able to research, synthesize, summarize, and make sense of complex data and information. You are comfortable working with and drawing insights from financial data and models.
- A compelling writer, effective communicator, and confident presenter. You convey information clearly and concisely, in writing and in person. You are skilled at packaging and presenting quantitative and qualitative data in ways that galvanize others to action. You seek to understand stakeholders’ points of view and adapt your approach accordingly.
- An authentic relationship builder who inspires trust and confidence. You operate with self-awareness, develop rapport easily, and foster connections with a diversity of personalities and partners. You are a natural networker with the ability to deepen existing relationships and develop new ones.
- A tech-savvy and well-organized project manager. You are experienced in leading and prioritizing multiple projects and workstreams. You take pride in your work product and operate with a high attention to detail. You bring high proficiency in Excel, PowerPoint, and CRM software, with facility in learning new technologies.
- A curious and adaptive learner who is energized to build something new. You actively learn while tackling new challenges, with a propensity for generating and nurturing new ideas and demonstrating humility in a learning environment.
LOCATION AND COMPENSATION
ECMC Foundation is based in Downtown Los Angeles. At present, ECMC Foundation staff work from home three days a week and are expected in person at the office twice a week. ECMC Foundation offers an excellent total rewards package that includes a choice of medical, dental, and vision insurance plans, 401(K) plan with up to 6% company match, 20 days paid time off, 10 paid holidays, education assistance programs, commuter subsidy, flexible spending account, and more.
If this opportunity speaks to you, click Apply Now with your 1) a cover letter that explains why ECMC Foundation’s work and this particular role excites you, 2) your resume. Please address your cover letter to Jessica Haselton. We review applications on a rolling basis and strive to get back to applicants within two weeks.
ECMC Foundation is committed to ensuring a diverse, inclusive and equitable culture built on a strong sense of belonging, where everyone feels seen, heard and encouraged to show up as their authentic self. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.dhsearch.net.