Choosing a career with ECMC Group means joining a nonprofit corporation with a mission to help students succeed. With a vibrant mission and values, great benefits, and strong community involvement, ECMC Group companies are an ideal team to join.
ECMC Foundation is a national foundation working to improve higher education for career success among underserved populations through evidence-based innovation. ECMC Foundation uses a spectrum of funding structures, including strategic grantmaking and program-related investments, to improve higher education so that it is equitable and student-centered, with a lens toward career success.
Launched in 2018, ECMC Foundation’s Education Innovation Ventures (EIV) program provides catalytic, risk capital to early-stage ventures working to increase postsecondary educational outcomes and economic mobility among learners who come from underserved backgrounds. Through program-related investments, EIV’s capital generates impact alongside financial returns, which are recycled to fund further impact initiatives and drive changes in educational attainment and economic mobility for learners.
At the onset of a new strategic plan, ECMC Foundation is seeking an Education Innovation Ventures Associate Senior for its Education Innovation Ventures (EIV) program. This hire will play a central role in building out EIV’s portfolio of early-stage ventures and social enterprises, using a range of investment tools (e.g. debt, equity, guarantees, and deposits) and ultimately supporting the vision of entrepreneurs who are shaping the future of higher education and work.
The ideal candidate is an enthusiastic advocate for ECMC Foundation’s mission and values. They are inspired to join an organization that seeks to improve higher education and career success amongst learners and workers from underserved communities, and they thrive being on a skilled team that values accountability, action- and service-orientation, learning, and innovation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- In partnership with the Director of Education Innovation Ventures, help lead the strategic growth and execution of the impact investment program that currently deploys $4M annually.
- Support the end-to-end deal flow process for new investments. Proactively source and vet new investment opportunities including analyzing industry sectors, understanding the competitive landscape, conducting due diligence, and determining the value and optimal capital structure under various finance and operating scenarios.
- Present opportunities and deals, including writing high-quality investment memos and supporting materials, for Board of Directors’ consideration and approval.
- Build and maintain trusting relationships with portfolio company founders, providing ongoing mentoring, coaching, and strategic support.
- Analyze and track the performance, financial and social reporting, and payments from portfolio companies, including synthesizing data into financial models and impact dashboards.
- Engage in field-building activities, including representing the EIV team at external meetings, conferences, field visits, and other forums that build connections and networks within the education and workforce sectors.
- Serve as an internal connector and advocate for EIV within the ECMC Foundation’s ecosystem, operating as a knowledgeable resource and fostering integration across the Foundation’s broader programs and networks.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 5+ years of experience in impact investing or an adjacent field (e.g. venture capital, venture philanthropy, community development financing, social enterprise development, or private debt) OR 7+ years related experience.
- Experience working with and drawing insights from financial data and models.
- Strong critical thinking skills and a natural inquisitiveness.
- Experience researching, synthesizing, summarizing, and making sense of complex data and information.
- Effective at developing and maintaining strong relationships.
- Experience leading and prioritizing multiple projects and workstreams.
- Proficiency in Excel, PowerPoint, and CRM software.
- Master’s Degree
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Salary range for this position is $130,000 – $140,000. Actual base salary may vary based upon, but not limited to, relevant experience, time in role, peer and market data, prior performance, business sector and geographic location.
ECMC Group is committed to ensuring our diverse, inclusive and equitable culture is built on a strong sense of belonging, where everyone feels seen, heard and encouraged to show up as their authentic self.