As the state of Connecticut’s strategic venture capital arm and one of the most active investors on the eastern seaboard. CI has a portfolio of 250+ companies across various industries, with great strength in life sciences and technology. CI meets with hundreds of companies every year, identifying the most promising early-stage companies looking to grow in the state. Every year, CI invests in 20 new companies, in addition to providing follow-on capital to more than 75 existing portfolio companies. CI headquarters are in New Haven, and office locations in Hartford and Stamford. In FY 2022, CI invested $55M in 100 companies, which went on to raise more than $1.3B this year alone. This total funding by our portfolio companies set another new record. This was CI’s best year ever, and we now have more capital to invest in future founders and entrepreneurs.
Bioscience Investment Associate Position Overview
CI is seeking an experienced bioscience investment associate (“Investment Associate”) to join and assist our team in developing and managing an active high-tech bioscience portfolio. CI will give you valuable venture experience in a unique, innovative, and collaborative work environment that values diversity, equity, and inclusion. This opportunity to contribute, add value, and make an economic impact in the State of Connecticut is extraordinary.
CI Investment Associates play a key role in executing our investment strategy by researching promising market opportunities and participating in all phases of the investment process including due diligence, meetings with management, focused company and industry research, financial modeling, writing investment recommendations. Post-investment, you will monitor the portfolio company and support the business on strategic growth initiatives and potentially serve as a board observer.
- Role is a combination of company origination, deal execution, and portfolio company management
- Prospecting for new investment opportunities,
- Conducting investment’s market, product and competitive analysis
- Financial modeling and valuation analysis, collaborating with and supporting other members of the CI Ventures’ team, setting and negotiating deal terms
- Preparing reports and proposals regarding potential investments and portfolio companies
- Presenting investments for approval to CI advisory committees and committees of the CI Board of Directors
- Assisting in identifying strategic, marketing and partnering opportunities for portfolio companies
- Entrepreneurial mindset, ambitious self-starter with proven ability to work in a collaborative and diverse environment. High energy, effort and positive mental attitude are all must-haves.
- Problem-solving skills and ability to work well with autonomy and ambiguity
- Motivated to succeed in a fast-paced environment
- Willingness and ability to move between relatively routine and detail-oriented work to work requiring a higher degree of critical thinking and judgment
- Appropriate combination of self-confidence and humility, a team-player
- High levels of motivation, commitment, and dedication
- Master’s or Doctoral degree in science and up to five (5) years of experience in life sciences
- Business development/commercialization experience in a high growth, entrepreneurial, biotechnology or pharmaceutical companies, or in bioscience venture capital firms, is preferred
- Startup experience is a plus
- A Master’s in Business Administration (MBA) degree may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the general experience, and is a plus
- Knowledge of financial Statements
- Knowledge of business plans, financial and legal documents
- Strong oral and written communication skills