Venture for ClimateTech
Venture For ClimateTech (V4C) Managing Director
Applications will be accepted through March 1st. To apply for this position please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Managing Director, Venture For ClimateTech” in the subject line.
Venture For ClimateTech (V4C) is a non-profit global venture studio + accelerator program that identifies and supports climate technologies that can have a positive impact on New York State. We run a virtual program that is tailored for climate innovators and companies at the earliest stages of their commercialization journey. We source the most promising climate tech innovators from around the world and offer them hands-on support and initial funding to build out their teams and businesses until they are ready for first customers, pilot runs, and investment.
V4C is administered by NextCorps and SecondMuse and is supported by the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA). This role reports into the broader organization of NextCorps.
NextCorps is a non-profit that helps technology-oriented entrepreneurs launch and grow successful startups, and established companies grow their revenues and profitability. NextCorps manages and delivers a number of different programs, including early-stage technology commercialization, business incubation, and accelerators, curriculum-based boot camps, and consulting services for manufacturing related projects.
The Managing Director will be responsible for all day-to-day operations of the program, including:
• Setting and overseeing strategic direction of the accelerator program
• Developing and managing the budget
• Managing program staff at NextCorps and the project team at SecondMuse
• Developing corporate / industry partner relationships and sponsorships
• Leading all outreach and recruiting efforts ranging from broad, global requests for applicants to direct outreach to potential participants
• Leading the selection process for each annual cohort of entrepreneurs / companies
• Managing the development of mentor and investor networks
• Managing the program Advisory Board and selection / judging committees
• Managing fundraising activities in collaboration with team members leading outreach for Investments and Partnerships
• Developing and overseeing implementation of the program’s educational curriculum
• Approving and managing fund disbursement to startup teams
• Reporting as required to funders, and managing relationships with funders
• Coaching and driving success of portfolio companies
• Demonstrated leadership capabilities and experience running complex programs / teams
• A solid understanding of commercialization, startup company formation, SBIR/STTR and/or other grant programs, and early-stage angel and venture capital investing
• Track record of building and managing stakeholder relationships, including private and public sectors, academia, inventors, entrepreneurs, investors, etc.
• Engaging public speaker and communicator
• Highest ethical standards
• Bachelor’s degree
• Founder or member of early-stage technology startup
• Familiarity with Lean Startup methodology for creating scalable startup companies
• Familiarity with accelerator/incubator structures and operations
• Experience in climatetech industry sectors, especially hardtech/hardware focused sectors
• Experience with venture capital and other early-stage investments
• Existing relationships in the climatetech sector and investor community
• 10+ years of work experience, with 5+ years in executive leadership roles
• Master’s degree or higher
• High Integrity
• Entrepreneurial Mindset
Reports to: President, NextCorps, Inc.
Supervises: Direct reports at NextCorps, which include Program Manager and Operations Manager; also manages SecondMuse relationship and their required program deliverables
Coordinates with: Other NextCorps personnel, including Marketing Director, Marketing and Community Relations Specialist – For ClimateTech, Entrepreneur-in-Residence, Finance & Administration, and other Program Directors; SecondMuse personnel
Location: Preference is for Managing Director to be located in Rochester, NY or another area within New York State, but remote arrangements will also be considered.