Variant is built on the idea that the next generation of the internet will consist of products and services that turn users into owners. We call this movement the Ownership Economy. In the last five years, we’ve seen these user-owned networks grow bigger, faster – and foster rich ecosystems of projects and contributors. We have been fortunate to invest in some of the defining projects in this space, and continue to support courageous founders who are rebuilding the internet, from developer-facing infrastructure and financial marketplaces to social media, gaming, digital art and more.
Variant continues to grow rapidly as a firm as we strive to meet the ever-increasing needs of our portfolio. This is an opportunity to work alongside individuals who are driven by excellence and a passion for rebuilding the internet made for creators and ownership by all participants.
The Chief of Staff role at Variant will support the firm’s COO, and by extension, the investment team with the coordination and accountability of our internal (investment, portfolio support, and operations) and external (venture advisors, strategic advisors, limited partners, and portfolio companies) teams.
The ideal candidate is a team player with exceptional communication skills, meticulous attention to detail, and an eagerness to take on responsibility. We are looking for someone with strong experience working with executive teams in fast-paced environments, and the ability to handle sensitive information with excellent judgment, diplomacy, and discretion. Variant strives to maintain our values, culture, and communication as we expand, and the Chief of Staff is critical to achieving this goal.
Investment Partner Support Operations
- Managing operational rhythm of the firm, including building meeting agendas, capturing key insights, and tracking action items to completion.
- Communicating discoveries, progress, and results from initiatives to management and/or the broader firm.
- Providing the investment team with data-driven recommendations on the investment process.
- Monitoring the progress of existing investments and developing investor updates.
- Creating decks and other materials to support investor relations, portfolio education, and business development opportunities.
- Processing, tracking, and managing communications and overseeing scheduling and contact management performed by executive assistants.
- Initiating and leading special projects (i.e., building internal products and programs, researching deep dives).
- Obtaining cross-functional knowledge to understand issues, trends, and perspectives that may influence the business and connect the dots for key stakeholders to drive increased alignment.
- Own key processes in Human Resources and people development.
- Assist the COO with investment closing and back-office tasks related to portfolio onboarding.
- Assist the COO with on-chain activity, including staking and lending operations.
- Be the first point of contact and relationship manager of our IT managed service provider. Take ownership of the firm’s cybersecurity environment with the assistance of our consultants to ensure our security stack is up-to-date and effective.
- Serve as a key member in the Firm’s IT control and compliance environment and coordinate a firm-wide IT security program with our compliance advisor.
- Oversee Variant’s relationship with vendors and vendor due diligence.
- Evaluate, improve, and maintain key infrastructure for the investment team.
- Assist with fundraising operations.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 3+ years of experience working in a highly technical industry.
- Experience partnering with executive leadership teams on both strategic and tactical people initiatives.
- Well-organized with strong time management skills and attention to detail follows through on multiple projects and juggles conflicting priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to clearly communicate and professionally manage questions/inquiries from across account teams, clients, and partners.
- Ability to work within a fast-paced, creative environment.
- Ability to handle highly sensitive and confidential financial, legal, personnel, and institutional information while exercising professionalism and discretion.
- Empathetic and direct communication style; not afraid to have difficult conversations.
- Experience fostering inclusive and diverse work environments.
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Committed to continuous learning and building your technical and leadership skills through training.
- You are comfortable working in a remote environment and working independently.
About Variant Fund
Variant is a first-check crypto fund investing in the ownership economy. We are remote-first and welcome candidates distributed in the U.S. We provide competitive salaries and benefits including:
- Premium health/dental coverage.
- Generous PTO.
- Opportunity to grow alongside a leading firm in a fast-growing market.
- Energetic, kind and mission-driven co-workers.
We will follow-up with select applicants to schedule interviews. Variant Fund is remote first, based in New York City
We are hoping for candidates from a myriad of backgrounds and hope you’ll consider applying!