Johnson & Johnson
The Associate Director of Venture Investments will function as a vital member of the JJDC team focusing on Consumer Health investments. S/he will contribute to the consumer health investing strategy, scout for the most promising markets and companies to invest in, bring deals to JJDC, help to manage an existing portfolio of companies, and represent the J&J Consumer Health sector externally. The role reports into the Vice President, Venture Investments on the West Coast and will be a part of the Johnson & Johnson Global External Innovation Group (GEI). The successful candidate will partner across JLabs and J&J Innovation Center GEI functions, the Consumer Health Sector R&D teams and Consumer Sector commercial franchises. Responsibilities will include maintaining external board roles in healthcare technology ventures, exploring new areas for external innovation and leading new deals within Consumer Health, and functioning as an active member of the JJDC investment committee that makes investment decisions across the full portfolio.
- S/he will create analyses to help define the future of the Consumer Health industry; including market analysis, competitive analysis, clinical trends, and customer needs.
- S/he will assume responsibilities for existing and future investments including diligence, detailed assessments, negotiating terms, and closing on funding requirements. Beyond initial investments, will be responsible for managing follow on investments to ensure targeted strategic options are shaped for success.
- S/he will lead sourcing, equity transaction activities, investment management activities and leverage and share expertise with internal Consumer Health stakeholders and enterprise partners, as needed.
- Responsibilities will include assuming board director and/or observer responsibilities, providing the JJDC team with regular progress updates with a particular emphasis on JNJ-relevant milestones, and shaping on-boarding strategies with JNJ’s operating businesses.
- S/he will build and maintain networks in the venture capital community, entrepreneurs, startups, incubators and accelerators and other venture organizations that fit the strategic interests of various Groups, to source new opportunities for the sector, and position JJDC as the partner of choice.
- S/he will collaborate with other JJDC Venture Investors, internal sector Business Development groups, GEI and R&D leadership and JLABS, External Innovation Teams (New Ventures, Search & Evaluation Scouts) located in the four (4) Johnson & Johnson Innovation Centers, to identify and assess novel innovation opportunities and if equity is selected, lead the JJDC process for potential investment.
- S/he will collaborate with internal teams to optimize structures for early external innovation opportunities for best overall outcomes for partnership.
- S/he will maintain a practice of regularly monitoring the venture landscape for disruptive business models and health care solutions, venture capital investor portfolios and competitive corporate venture investment activity, and identify trends and areas deserving additional focus for JJDC’s future investment.
- S/he will manage the shaping and formation of new venture-backed startups where the spin out of internal technology and/or newco formation is of strong strategic interest for later option rights.
- Build robust pipeline of investment opportunities to accelerate innovation and GEI initiatives
- Expand and differentiate JJDC’s relationship in venture community and ecosystem of entrepreneurs, intermediaries and business partners.
- Strengthen overall quality of deal flow and equity investments spawning from GEI and monitor progress on key company/business milestones which lead to on-boarding (acquisition and integration, licensing, partnership) opportunities for J&J.
“Remote work options may be considered on a case-by-case basis and if approved by the Company.”
The anticipated base pay range for this position is $112,000 to $168,000
For additional general information on Company benefits, please go to: – https://www.careers.jnj.com/employee-benefits
The Associate Director of Venture Investments will combine capabilities in industry knowledge, business acumen, and executive influencing skills to succeed in J&J’s highly collaborative and matrix driven organization. The Associate Director of Venture Investments will have superior professional maturity and business ethics.
A Bachelor’s degree in a scientific or business field is required.
An advanced business degree is preferred. MD and/or PhD are preferred
2+ years R&D/BD/marketing experience in healthcare is required.
2+ years of investment experience (Venture Capital/Private Equity, investment banking, private equity) is required
A minimum of 2 years of managerial/leadership experience is required. –
Prior investment and Board experience in Consumer Health and/or Medical Devices (at a venture capital, private equity, or corporate venture fund) is strongly preferred.
Additional experience could include a demonstrated track record in business development and in a role where this person is conducting corporate transactions and/or debt and equity structuring activities such as M&A, licensing agreements, joint ventures, etc.
Ability to travel up to 35% of time required, majority domestic with some international travel to portfolio investment board meetings
Johnson & Johnson announced plans to separate our Consumer Health business to create a new publicly traded company. The process of the planned separation is anticipated to be completed within 24 months, and it will be subject to legal requirements including consultation with works councils and other employee representative bodies, as required, and other customary conditions and approvals. Should you accept this position, it is anticipated that, following conclusion of the transaction, you would be an employee of a new entity within New Consumer Health and your employment would be governed by New Consumer Health’s employment processes, programs, policies, and benefit plans. In that case, details of any planned changes would be provided to you by New Consumer Health at an appropriate time and subject to any necessary consultation processes.
At Johnson & Johnson, we’re on a mission to change the trajectory of health for humanity. That starts by creating the world’s healthiest workforce. Through cutting-edge programs and policies, we empower the physical, mental, emotional and financial health of our employees and the ones they love. As such, candidates offered employment must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or secure an approved accommodation prior to the commencement of employment to support the well-being of our employees, their families and the communities in which we live and work.