We are an organization dedicated to creating pathways to opportunity so people can live to their full potential. We center our work on education, immigration reform, the environment, health, with justice as our goal. We use a wide range of tools and strategies — partnering with entrepreneurs and experts, makers and policymakers, advocates, and creatives — to build and execute innovative solutions that will spur change and promote equality.
In order to address national and global-scale problems, we employ a wide range of tools and strategies. We believe that a combination of Philanthropy and Venture Capital can support the greatest leaps of innovation. This model allows us to deploy resources in the most flexible way for the greatest impact.
The Emerson Collective (EC) Venture team invests in companies that are positively impacting the world and ensuring that people can live to their full potential. Impact and returns are not tradeoffs: we believe that some of the best-performing companies will also be the ones who do right by their customers, employees, and the planet. We invest in companies across a number of sectors, including sustainability, financial technology, digital health, education, future of work and the worker, software, and digital media. Portfolio companies include Guild Education, Syndio Solutions, Praxis Labs, Psych Hub, Rheaply, Chime, and Divvy Homes. We are currently seeking an Associate Director to join our lean and entrepreneurial early-stage investing team (Pre-Seed to Series A focused). This position will report to the Managing Director of Venture Investments.
Role And Responsibilities
- Identifying companies that have a high-impact solution in a growing market and are led by a collaborative, diverse team whose impact would be amplified with EC’s investment.
- Performing due diligence (i.e., business, financial, and impact diligence) on our target investments, and communicating your findings in a clear, concise manner. This will include the preparation of investment memos, diligence decks, and verbal presentations.
- Preparing deep industry sector analysis to guide our investment strategy, including thesis creation, market maps, industry research, and network building through pro-actively meeting with promising entrepreneurs and cultivating relationships across the start-up ecosystem.
- Supporting our current and future portfolio companies through a wide range of initiatives including executive hiring, business development, DE&I, and fundraising support.
- Engaging with the broader EC and venture capital networks to facilitate collaboration opportunities, build relationships, and help promote impact at scale.
Qualifications, Skills, And Requirements
- You have 4+ years of relevant work experience in venture capital, a startup/technology business, management consulting, investment banking, and/or private/growth equity.
- You are committed to and passionate about investing in the best technology companies and making an impact.
- You produce thorough and concise quantitative and qualitative analyses to form opinions about companies. You are comfortable building financial models and valuing companies. You communicate directly, empathetically, and concisely in both written and verbal form.
- You thrive in entrepreneurial, diverse, and inclusive environments. You are comfortable taking on new tasks or projects with little direction and adjusting course quickly in response to information and feedback.
- You respond to new ideas, projects, and tasks with enthusiasm and are able to operationalize them after looking at them from multiple perspectives (considering the opportunities, risks, creative alternatives, and possible paths forward).
- You are a collaborative teammate with high integrity and work ethic. You invite different perspectives into your work and have a commitment to improving yourself and others by seeking and providing specific feedback and guidance.
Emerson Collective is a Bay Area-based organization with offices in Palo Alto, East Palo Alto, Oakland, Chicago, New York, and Washington, D.C. This position is located in Palo Alto or San Francisco, CA.
The salary for this role is highly competitive and commensurate with experience. Emerson Collective offers excellent organizational benefits.
What We Offer
A mission-driven, diverse, and inclusive environment that focuses on learning and growing. We offer excellent benefits and perks designed for your well-being and a healthy work-life balance. These include flexible paid time off, competitive health insurance, a generous retirement savings plan, paid parental leave, commuter benefits, mental health and family care benefits, lunch in the office, book club, weekly yoga, a new iPhone and iWatch, time off to volunteer, participation in social justice events, and more.