Below are 30+ great posts that I’ve uncovered over the past 10+ years about how to get a venture capital job, broken out by area of interest. All of them are written by VCs or former VCs.
- Earnest Sweat of PLD Ventures shares his personal experience breaking into VC.
- Brandan Baker, formerly of Greylock, on how to –possibly– get a job in venture capital
- Pre-VC Tips: Part 1 (Who’s Hiring) & Part 2 (Interviews) by Stephan Von Perger
- Christina Cacioppo (formerly of Union Square Ventures) talking about what it takes to land a role in VC
- Thoughtful post by VC recruiter Denise Palmieri
- Jordan Kong writes about recruiting for VC on her blog
- NextGen Partners’ FAQ about getting into VC
- Former Greylock VC Brendan Baker writes about how to get a job in VC
- Ali Hamed writes about how to get your first job in VC
- Mateusz Kaliski of Rubicon Venture Capital writes about how he got a job in VC
- Ali Afridi of Lightbank writes about getting VC experience while still in school
- Matt Miller and Zach Winn of JetBlue Technology Ventures writes about getting a role in Corporate VC.
- Michael Tefula of Downing Ventures offers his take on VC and The Antidote to Getting a VC Job.
VC Partners on how to get a job in VC
Who better to teach you how to get a job in venture capital than VC partners and VC firm founders? Below are several posts from partners from a variety of firms about their path into venture capital, and their advice on how to get a job in venture capital.
- How Fred Wilson got into the VC biz and my reply, as well as Fred’s talk some with some business school and law school students about his career in VC
- Charlie O’Donnell’s interview with Jim Robinson of RRE Ventures about VC careers, his view of the Principal role at a VC firm, why it sucks to be a VC, and more of his thoughts on breaking into the VC business.
- Gaurav Jain of Founder Collective writes about how to be a VC without any capital
- Matt Turck of FirstMark writes about playing “fake VC” (or the portfolio approach to getting a job in venture capital)
- Elizabeth Galbut of SoGal Ventures writes about how she broke into VC as a 26-year-old woman
- John Greathouse of Rincon Venture Partners writes about how to become a VC
- Joe Tango of Kepha Partners on how he found his way into a VC role
- Hunter Walk writes about how Ana Diaz-Hernandez broke into VC
- Mark Davis, of Interplay Ventures, with tips on how to land a VC job
- Blake Robbins writes about how he became a VC in Detroit at 22
- How To Get A Job In Venture Capital by Brad Feld, ditto by Seth Levine
- Baiyin Zhou writes about hiring and breaking into the VC world
How to get a venture capital job as an MBA student
- ThInc writes about the dos and don’ts of pursuing VC as an MBA
- Eric Duboe from Pritzker Group writes about 4 keys to becoming a pre-MBA associate
- Questions from a reader of my business school blog about getting into VC biz