With more than 180 million active users, over a billion active product listings, and in excess of $25B in quarterly GMV, eBay is the world’s most vibrant and dynamic online marketplace. Founded in 1995, eBay empowers people to create their own economic independence by providing tools that allow ordinary people sell and buy online. eBay Inc. is headquartered in San Jose, California and has operations around the world. For more information about the company and its global portfolio of online brands, visit http://www.ebayinc.com.
eBay’s Corporate Development Team is responsible for sourcing, evaluating, executing and integrating the company’s strategic acquisitions, divestitures, investments and joint ventures.
The team works closely with eBay’s CEO, CFO, CTO, CPO, GMs and operational leaders to enable go/no-go decision-making for potential investments and acquisitions. We develop unique market insights and strong industry & venture capital relationships to proactively identify the most attractive M&A and investment opportunities. We assess opportunities to ensure a strong strategic rationale, assess the case for buying vs. building vs. partnering, align the organizational fit and integration plan, develop the business case, perform valuation, structure, negotiate and execute transactions.
We are currently seeking a Director to join our team. The Director will report to the VP of Corporate Development. This is a high profile role with significant executive exposure inside and outside of eBay, at a global level. The Director is expected to bring significant expertise to the role with the ability to lead across all the team responsibilities listed above. The role requires a blend of strong strategic problem-solving, management and deal experience, and team-building skills, in a highly dynamic business environment.
The Director will be involved in identifying prospective target opportunities, performing strategic and quantitative analysis, conducting due diligence, determining appropriate valuation and structure, developing strategy for and conducting negotiations, driving activities to closure, and coordinating with our M&A Integration team. On a typical transaction, the Director will play the role of ‘Deal Captain’, responsible for all aspects of the transaction, including managing a cross-functional team involving colleagues from our Business Units, Finance, Legal, Human Resources, IT, and Product/Engineering teams.
This role provides a unique opportunity to gain a deep understanding of eBay, our industry and to lead transactions ranging from strategic investments and the related commercial deal, to smaller tech and talent tuck-ins, to larger scale M&A. The level of exposure will allow the Director to develop close working relationships with the key leaders at and beyond eBay, and can be an effective springboard for other operational leadership roles at eBay, where global job mobility is encouraged.
- Problem Solver. Our job is to help eBay make better business decisions and often those involve solving tough problems. We value intellectual honesty and the use of creativity to find practical solutions to solve problems on deals.
- Demonstrated subject-matter expert. We’re deal specialists! We need you to be one, too! Being able to understand eBay’s business, the transaction or project objectives, and then overlay that with your own deal and tactical recommendations is a critical part of the job.
- Confident speaking your mind. Our culture encourages open and honest discussion. You will need to demonstrate the confidence to speak up as a leader, with substance, recognizing that sometimes it may be uncomfortable to do so.
- Ability to drive projects/tasks to conclusion. We don’t like punting a major decision. Decisions tend not to get easier by deferring them indefinitely. We are expected to help prioritize, create clear project plans, ensure there are owners for action items and a clear path to making the decision. This will often involve working across functions in the organization and the Deal Captain must be comfortable working with colleagues across a broad organization in this regard.
- Curiosity. Curiosity, proactivity and resourcefulness are the natural repellents against poor decision making. The Director will have a curious mind, not be afraid to ask lots of questions, and be keen to keep learning.
- Good team-mate. By virtue of the role, we work collaboratively with team members across the organization. We continually do our best to create an environment where other eBay colleagues look forward to partnering with us. We’re always ready to ‘grab an oar’, regardless of our role/level/title, and understand that the project as a collaborative effort.
- Negotiate great outcomes. Ultimately we care more about the outcome than the process. The Director must be a savvy negotiator that understands deal issues, prepares properly for discussions, and communicates effectively.
- Ability to coach, mentor, and grow. The Director should be prepared to give (and receive) in-the-moment, relevant, helpful and honest feedback to team mates. The Corporate Development team strives to improve and being able to give and receive feedback is a core part of this cycle.
The ideal candidate for the position should have a BA or BS undergraduate degree, an MBA and/or JD preferred. The candidate should have at least ten years of M&A / Corporate Development experience running acquisition and investment transactions. Some of a candidate’s experience may be drawn from advisory positions in investment banking, venture capital, legal or consulting firms.
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see: EEO is the Law Poster and EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
If interested, please apply here.