Babbel is driven by a mission: Everyone. Learning. Languages. This means building products that help people connect and communicate across cultures. Babbel, Babbel Travel and Babbel for Business focus on using a new language in the real world, in real situations, with real people. And it works: Studies with Yale University, City University of New York and Michigan State University prove that it gets users talking with confidence.
The key is a blend of humanity and technology. A team of linguistic experts hand-craft each of our courses, to provide content that is constantly adapted to our learners’ needs. Interactive content with videos and podcasts makes understanding a new language easy, because Babbel is for everyone. That’s why our team is as diverse as our content. From headquarters in Berlin and New York, 750 people from more than 60 nationalities represent the backgrounds, characteristics and perspectives that make all humans unique. Making a true connection with millions of paid subscribers across the globe is what makes Babbel the most profitable language learning app worldwide.
Babbel in Numbers:
- The #1 top-grossing language learning app globally
- Millions of active paying subscribers
- More than 60,000 lessons 14 languages hand-crafted by 150+ linguists
- More than 10,000 hours of learning content
- Over 70 learning podcast episodes and over 50 hours of video learning content
We are looking for a Director of Corporate Development for Babbel in Berlin!
Your mission as a Director of Corporate Development will be to add inorganic growth & innovation to Babbel’s growing ecosystem of learning methods and business streams. This challenge spans from the strategy to the funnel all the way to the integration & impact delivery. Ultimately, you will participate in leading the company to global market leadership while helping users from Greenland to New Zealand learn foreign languages. You will report to the CFO and be a member of the Leadership Team.
- Steer inorganic growth & innovation within the company
- Establish Buy or Partner as alternatives to Build for all strategic decisions
- Develop Babbel’s acquisition strategy together with the CFO
- Build an ever-flowing M&A pipeline for Babbel
- Lead all M&A projects from identification to negotiating & closing the deal to integration
- Deliver the integration & impact expected in the deal rationale
- Collaborate closely with Babbel’s Exec team and board of directors on transactions
- Coach and develop each Corporate Development manager
- 7+ years of experience in investment banking (M&A), strategy consulting or a law firm (all M&A focused) or in other Corporate Development teams
- 3+ years of experience directly leading a team, including hiring, developing and motivating employees
- Full fluency in spoken and written English. Language learning passion is a plus
- Deep prior expertise in closing and/or integrating M&A deals (a must). Experience in financing transactions is a plus
- Solid strategic thinking and analytical/finance skills. Previous experience with online and/or subscription business models is a plus
- Excellent interpersonal & leadership skills
- Team player with an entrepreneurial start-up attitude, hands-on mentality, high motivation and willingness to learn
- International work experience & business network (a must)
- Work in a truly purpose-driven business
- Have a highly visible leadership role with a strategic scope
- A steep learning-curve – personally and professionally
- Be part of a very diverse and international team
- An agile challenging environment and a culture of experimentation
- Being part of helping millions of people to learn languages
- Great company benefits (Flexible hours, sabbatical, company bike, fresh fruits & drinks, etc.)
- Start-up mentality and attractive working environment in the heart of Berlin
Sounds good? We are looking forward to hearing from you!
If interested, please apply here.