Andreessen Horowitz (known as “a16z”) is a venture capital firm in Silicon Valley, California that backs bold entrepreneurs building the future through technology. We are stage agnostic: We invest in seed to late-stage technology companies, across the consumer, enterprise, bio/healthcare, crypto, and fintech spaces. A16z has $12B in assets under management across multiple funds, including the $1.4B Bio funds, the $865MM Crypto funds, and the Cultural Leadership Fund.
We’ve established a team that is defined by respect for the entrepreneur and the entrepreneurial company building process. We’ve invested in companies like Airbnb, Apeel, Coinbase, Figma, Freenome, Instacart, Lyft, Slack, and Stripe. Our team is at the forefront of new technology, helping entrepreneurs and their companies impact and change the world.
We have an immediate opening for a Partner in our Corporate Development Group to lead fintech. In this role, the Partner will serve as the senior adviser to all fintech portfolio companies and their respective General Partners on capital raising (equity and debt), M&A and Capital Markets.
The primary function of this role is to provide real and sustained value to: (i) the Firm’s fintech portfolio companies; (ii) the Firm’s General Partners; (iii) immediate peers in the Corporate Development group; and (iv) the broader Firm, through cross-functional collaboration.
To join our team, you should be excited to:
Networks and Relationship Management
- Build and manage long-term relationships both internally and externally – have a vision for what the relationship can be for the firm over time, not just what benefit it will provide you in the interim
- You know fintech exceedingly well and are already a fixture in its ecosystem
- Build and maintain a network of capital providers, strategic corporates, partners and advisors – our networks and the relationships built on top of them are key to this role
- Go through your networks and relationships, in order to stay ahead of the curve on events, insights and trends. Then, be able to effectively and proactively share these with the group and General Partners.
Capital Raising, M&A and Capital Markets
- Partner with the group and General Partners to optimize our portfolio companies’ outcomes. This will be through the lifecycle of a company, from seed through exit.
- Run simultaneous engagements and processes, across the entire portfolio, with a balance of responsiveness and thoughtfulness
- Advise our portfolio companies on all aspects of capital raising, including but not limited to: proactive fundraise planning and prep, identifying and connecting impactful follow-on investors, seeing processes through to a close, over-communication with the General Partners, and more.
- Counsel our portfolio companies on all aspects of M&A, including but not limited to: proactive prep, identifying buyers and targets, buy- and sell-side advisory, transaction execution support, over-communication with the General Partners, and more.
- Advise our portfolio companies on all aspects of Capital Markets, including but not limited to: standard methodologies to implement, IPO preparedness, timing and positioning, underwriter line-up, IPO vs. Direct Listing vs. SPAC, over-communication with the General Partners, and more.
- Receive confidential information, track portfolio company performance, and anticipate funding and exit needs
- Positive demeanor, good instincts and self motivation
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work cross-functionally across the portfolio, General Partners and various operational groups within a16z
- Ability to quickly build trust with other team members as well as entrepreneurs and broader finance/capital/strategic networks
- Demonstrated personal and professional achievement
- 12+ years of commercial banking, corporate development, investment banking, operating and/or venture capital experience. Preferable past experience, includes: fintech-focused roles where financial operations, capital raising, M&A and/or Capital Markets was a strong focus.
- Experience in financial modeling and data and analytics
- Proven track record to multitask, apply initiative and creativity on, and lead projects
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, Economics or a technical field preferred but not required
- We do only first class business and only in a first class way
- We take a long view of relationships, because we are in the relationship business
- We believe in the future and bet the firm that way
- We are all different, we recognize that, and w win
- We celebrate the good times
- We do it for the team
- We play to win
Additional optional questions for application submission:
- OPTIONAL: Please feel free to provide any details on why you are uniquely qualified for the role outside of what my come through from your resume
- OPTIONAL: Why is this the right opportunity for you and why now in your career?
If interested, please apply here.