As an integral member of the our company Global Health Innovation Fund team, the Associate Director is an entrepreneurial individual who will be expected to support all aspects of investing in digital healthcare startups for a corporate venture capital fund. This includes deal sourcing, vetting, diligence, financial modeling, investing, as well as investment monitoring and governance. The Associate Director will report into the COO, GHI Fund and will be expected to support investment activities across the GHI Fund management team.
The Associate Director will be responsible for identifying, evaluating, transacting, and managing venture investments. Responsibilities will include but may not be limited to:
- Research Investment Theses- Define and research key areas of healthcare for investment, working across the GHI management team to ensure strategic alignment with our company interests
- Evaluate Investment Opportunities – Maintain awareness of startup companies in areas of interest, conduct vetting of potential startups to identify potential investments, develop financial model, and conduct fundamental and technical due diligence
- Develop Investment Cases – Support GHI Managing Directors in developing a narrative, along with financial modeling, for the investment committee that provides an assessment of the company and a business case for investment
- Portfolio monitoring – Track financial and operational conditions and industry dynamics of assigned portfolio companies. Partner with portfolio companies to assess their go-to-market plans and identify opportunities. Understand investment capital structure and shareholder rights
- To analyze portfolio and assist with quarterly reviews with GHI senior management
- Competitive Intelligence – monitor competitor activity and develop business intelligence related to the portfolio, as well as to our company.
- Develop Domain Expertise – Develop deep knowledge in digital health. Attend industry conferences and events to source deals and identify exit opportunities.
- Maintain Knowledge of our company Use Cases – Work closely with GHI Portfolio Development team to understand key uses cases across our company’s business to ensure alignment of new opportunities to strategy as appropriate.
- College degree required
- MBA or similar advanced scientific degree preferred
Experience And Skills
- Minimum 5 years of work experience in healthcare related fields
- Minimum 3 years domain expertise in healthcare private equity and/or venture capital, strategy and business development and a strong understanding of the healthcare venture capital ecosystem
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with excellent presentation skills and executive presence.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, with high proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience leading due diligence processes of healthcare equity investments and demonstrated ability to orchestrate all diligence resources
Preferred Experience And Skills
- Experience in healthcare related venture or private equity investing is strongly preferred
- Advanced scientific domain expertise and experience strongly preferred
- Strong knowledge of healthcare technology trends, regulation, and reimbursement
- Experience in and/or knowledge of Healthcare IT / digital health marketplace
- Deep market expertise in one or several areas of healthcare
- Experience with strategic planning and strong financial acumen
- Strong project and relationship management skills; ability to multitask while maintaining attention to detail
- Passion for knowledge, drive for excellence, demonstrated leadership capabilities
Our Support Functions deliver services and make recommendations about ways to enhance our workplace and the culture of our organization. Our Support Functions include HR, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Procurement, Administration, Facilities and Security.
Who We Are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world’s most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What We Look For …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers’ Policy – Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US And Puerto Rico Residents Only
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
If interested, please apply here.