Brandeis University seeks an experienced professional for the position of Associate Director of Investments in its Office of Investment Management. The position will be located in downtown Boston, Massachusetts.
About the University
Characterized by academic excellence since its founding in 1948, Brandeis is one of the youngest private research universities, as well as the only nonsectarian Jewish-sponsored college or university in the U.S. Brandeis is ranked in the top tier of the nation’s universities, including the top 40 of national universities by US News & World Report. As a medium-sized private research university with global reach, Brandeis is dedicated to first-rate undergraduate education while making groundbreaking discoveries. Our 235-acre campus is located in the suburbs of Boston, a global hub for higher education and innovation. Brandeis faculty are leaders in their fields, as passionate about teaching and mentorship as they are about pushing the boundaries of knowledge. Brandeis students are motivated, compassionate, curious and open to exploring new and challenging experiences. At Brandeis, you will discover a community rooted in purpose, guided by our founding values, poised to lead in education and research in the 21st century .
Brandeis’ endowment helps support 3,600 undergraduates, 2,200 graduate students, and a group of more than 540 faculty members. Our graduates depart to pursue careers in a wide array of fields and advanced studies in the nation’s leading graduate and professional schools.
For more information, please visit our website at: http://www.brandeis.edu/admissions/about/index.html.
About the Office of Investment Management
The Office of Investment Management is responsible for the management of the Brandeis University Endowment Fund, which totals approximately $1 billion. The investment office is comprised of seven full-time employees and is overseen by a seven-person investment committee whose members have significant investment experience. Brandeis maintains active long-term relationships with many of the world’s most successful investment firms across public and private asset classes. Brandeis partners with over 40 external fund managers whose collective expertise covers a wide spectrum of investment styles and strategies. Over the past ten years, the investment office has achieved annualized returns which are highly competitive with larger peers.
The Brandeis University Endowment Fund has been established to fund scholarships, fellowships, faculty salaries, programs, activities and facilities designed to promote and advance the mission of Brandeis University. The endowment supports the operational stability of the university and provides approximately 14% of the university operating budget in fiscal year 2019.
The Office of Investment Management is located off-campus in downtown Boston, Massachusetts.
For more information, please visit our website at http://www.brandeis.edu/investmanagement/.
About the Position
The Associate Director of Investments will report to the Chief Investment Officer. As a key member of an eight-person team, the Associate Director will primarily work with the CIO and other colleagues to monitor existing investment managers and to conduct due diligence on new investment managers. Secondarily, the Associate Director will conduct analysis of asset allocation, liquidity, risk, and performance, and assist with other investment projects. The Associate Director will be a generalist, conducting research and performing analysis across asset classes (including traditional public equity, hedge fund, private equity, real asset, and venture capital managers). Over time, the Associate Director will develop specializations and assume primary responsibility.
Main responsibilities include:
- monitoring and analyzing existing investment partnerships both through on-site visits and research
- conducting due diligence on prospective investment partnerships by evaluating the strategy, analyzing the performance and preparing recommendations for the Investment Committee
- assisting in the preparation of strategic analyses of asset classes, reviews of capital allocations to each asset class, and oversight of the portfolio exposure management process
- researching broad investment and industry trends, and supporting the Chief Investment Officer and the entire department in various projects as required
- supporting the office with modeling and analysis of benchmarks, portfolio performance, risk and liquidity
This is a unique opportunity to play a key role in a successful investment office for a highly respected educational institution.
Ideal candidates will have most of the following attributes:
- demonstrable success in prior work experience, in any of the following:
- finance (investment management, investment banking)
- corporate strategy / consulting
- analytical and/or investigative research roles in other fields
- strong intellectual curiosity, flexibility, and fact-based approach to analysis
- experience in conducting deep primary research and organizing findings
- preference for working in a small entrepreneurial team within a larger non-profit organization
- excellent oral, written, and presentation skills
- ability to work collaboratively with multiple constituencies both internal (within the Office of Investment Management and other departments on campus) and external (the investment management community)
- a strong professional network
- ability to travel frequently domestically and abroad
- an advanced degree (master’s degree in business administration or a degree in the fields of hard or soft science), or equivalent work experience
- a minimum of 4-10 years of related work experience
IF interested, please apply here.