This page lists a variety of resources that might be useful to those who are seeking careers in venture capital.
My hope is that this page can act as a starting point for those who are passionate about getting into the business. Many of the posts below are ones that I read during my job search.
I’d also encourage you to subscribe to my VC careers email list, where the content is 100% focused on VC job posting and tips to help you in your job hunt. Also, if you subscribe, you’ll immediately receive a link via email to download an excerpt from my eBook Road to a Venture Capital Career. Please input your email address in the field (and click ‘Submit’) below if you would like to subscribe.
Thanks, and enjoy the ride…
Venture Capital Career ‘Must Reads’
All of the books I link in this section are books that I’ve personally read (or wrote!) and recommend to any aspiring VC. You’ll see that some of these are focused on company building versus VC investing. And that’s exactly the point! You really need to have both perspectives to be a good VC. Here are the affiliate links:
- Term Sheets and Valuations by Alex Wilmerding
- Do More Faster by Techstars Founder David Cohen and VC Brad Feld
- Road to a Venture Capital Career by yours truly :)
- Four Steps to the Epiphany by Steve Blank, the founder of the Lean Startup movement
- Why Killer Products Don’t Sell by Ian Gotts
VC’s talking about getting VC jobs
- How To Get A Job In Venture Capital by Brad Feld, ditto by Seth Levine
- A nice paper written by one of Jason Mendelson’s MBA students about VC careers and VC demographics
- Mark Davis, a VC at DFJ Gotham, with tips on how to land a VC job.
- Questions from a reader of my b-school blog about getting into VC biz
- How Fred Wilson got into the VC biz and my reply
- Christina Cacioppo of Union Square Ventures talking about what it takes to land a role in VC.
- Fred Wilson talking to some b-school and law school students about his career in VC
- Joe Tango of Kepha Partners on how he found his way into a VC role
- Kauffman Fellowship Program
- Charlie O’Donnell’s thoughts on cracking into the business
- Thoughtful post by VC recruiter Denise Palmieri
- Charlie O’Donnell’s interview with Jim Robinson of RRE Ventures about VC careers
- Charlie O’Donnell’s view of the Principal role at a VC firm
Entry Level VCs – how they act, what they do, what motivates them, and career path
- Dealing with a junior VC (part 1 and part 2) by Healy Jones
- My comments about Mike Lazerow’s CNNMoney post, which was a clinic on how junior VCs can add value
- AskTheVC post about analyst roles
- Lee Hower‘s thoughts on making a career in venture capital
- Jeff Bussgang of Flybridge on the onramps to venture capital
- Bessemer alum and now Hunch.com founder Chris Dixon discussing VC careers (has a killer comment thread as well)
- Another one from Chris Dixon, this time about what he thinks is the ideal college major for someone considering internet/tech VC.
- A biopharma VC gives his thoughts on VC career path
- Scott Wolfgang at Hearst with an thoughtful assessment on what it takes to succeed in the VC business
- A comment from yours truly on Mark Suster’s blog post about the applicability of the MBA degree to startups and VC.
- Rob Go of Nextview reveals some of the not-so-glamorous aspects of being a VC
Managing the VC job hunt
- Tips from Mark Davis on how to stay top of mind with a VC, without being annoying.
- More from Mark Davis, this time about how the last man or woman standing will be the one that gets the VC job
- Sarah Tavel of Bessemer defending the “young VC” and her post on the pre-MBA hiring process at her firm
- Adam Ludwin of RRE Ventures shares 3 tips on how to score that coveted post-MBA VC job
Blogs and posts that focus on the mechanics of the venture business itself
- Ask The VC
- Get Venture
- Venture Hacks (the entrepreneur’s perspective!) and an exhaustive archive of their posts
- Vault’s VC career page as well as Wetfeet’s VC career page
- Internship at my firm (L Capital) for summer 2009
- A post (by me) that talks about which NYC VC firms had interns while I was at Columbia
- PEHub’s MBA section and home of the yearly internship rodeo
- Recent vSpring Capital internship posting (posted 2/11/09)
Recruiters who specialize in VC placements
Networking and Interviewing Tips
- Advice on the dreaded “Cold Call”
- Market sizing tips
- My account of a VC informational interview
- A great video about business development that is also applicable to VC (after all, VC is alot like biz dev)
Venture Capital Jobs
- Job posting for pre-MBA analyst role at RRE Ventures (posted 2/3/2009)
- Associate at Zelkova Ventures
- Analyst role at a life sciences VC (posted 2/7/2009)
- Post-MBA associate role at Alliance Bernstein (posted 2/22/2009)
- Pre-MBA analyst role at Firstmark Capital (posted 2/22/2009)
- Pre-MBA analyst role at Saints Capital (posted 4/14/2009)
- Pre-MBA associate role at Adams Street Partners (posted 4/20/2009)
- Pre-MBA associate role at Norwest Venture Partners (posted 4/24/2009)
- Pre-MBA associate role at Menlo Ventures (posted 5/21/2009)
- Pre-MBA associate role at IVP (posted 12/10/2009)
- Post-MBA senior associate role at Polaris (posted on 6/16/2010) – NOTE: This is a bit of conjecture, but between Jon Steinberg leaving his role working with Polaris’ Dogpatch Labs and a recent Glocap post looking for a Senior Associate for a hybrid VC / incubator in NYC with $500MM AUM, I think I’m probably right.
- Pre-MBA associate role at Adams Street Capital (posted 12/13/2010)
- Chief of Staff Role at Canadian VC Real Ventures (posted 2/15/2011)
- Pre- or post-MBA Associate role at OATV (posted 3/17/2011)
- Senior Associate role at Highland Capital Partners (IT and Communications team) (posted 1/8/2012)
- Pre-MBA Director of Community role at Firstmark Capital in NYC
- Bessemer is hiring a pre-MBA associate
- ff Venture Capital is hiring a pre- or post-MBA analyst.
- Techcrunch is soliciting video submissions from the masses for “Who wants to be Charles Zachary’s apprentice?“
- Pre-MBA associate at Greycroft Partners (posted 4-7-2012)
- Post-MBA associate role, Bay Area – Comsumer Internet focus (posted September 23, 2012)
- I also discussed my job search quite a bit in my Columbia J-term business school blog.
- Track VC fundings and M&A activity in real time through @vcdeals on Twitter
- Matt Winn’s punctuative VC database
- The LearnVC site
- My former colleague Doug Kalish’s site (Dougsguides.com) that contains a general set of ebooks, workshops, and links to help you find a great job with great people.
Here’s one more opportunity to subscribe to my VC careers email list, where the content is 100% focused on VC job posting and tips to help you in your job hunt. Also, if you subscribe, you’ll immediately receive a link via email to download an excerpt from my eBook Road to a Venture Capital Career. Please input your email address in the field (and click ‘Submit’) below if you would like to subscribe.